Museum of Practical Geology (Biographical details)

Museum of Practical Geology (institution/organisation; 1835 - 1935)

Also known as

Museum of Practical Geology; Museum of Economic Geology

Address

28 to 32 Jermyn Street, London

Biography

Established in 1835, and opened in 1837 as the Museum of Economic Geology in Charing Cross. Moved to Jermyn Street in 1850, opening to the public in August 1851. Contained a geological museum as well as mining machinery, ceramics and glass. In 1935, transferred to the Geological Museum (q.v.) in Exhibition Road, and now part of the Earth Galleries of the Natural History Museum (q.v.)