Natural History Museum (Biographical details)

Natural History Museum (institution/organisation; British; 1881)

Also known as

Natural History Museum; British Museum (Natural History); Geological Museum

Biography

Formerly an integral part of The British Museum (founded 1753) when the government acquired the collections of Sir Hans Sloane. The natural history collections, under the superintendency of Richard Owen, were moved to the current building, designed by Alfred Waterhouse, and opened to the public in 1881. The museum became fully independent by Act of Parliament in 1963 and, in 1986, the adjacent Geological Museum (q.v.) was incorporated. The Walter Rothschild Zoological Museum, Tring, Hertfordshire, is also administered by the museum.